Today we feature an iftar recipe that combines Asian styled chicken satay with Moroccan couscous. This fusion chicken recipe is easy to make, and is a nutritious iftar meal that is good for easy digestion.
Asian Chicken Satay with Grilled Vegetables Couscous
* 1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 orange, zested, reserve remainder for Grilled Fruit Skewer recipe
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 8 thighs
* 12 (10-inch) skewers
* 1/2 cup peanut butter
* 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or to taste
* Canola oil, for brushing
* 1 (10-ounce) package couscous
* 1 green bell pepper
* 1 medium zucchini
* 1 medium red onionMethod
1) In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, cumin, orange zest, and salt and pepper, to taste. Pour half of the marinade into a large resealable bag. Reserve the rest of the marinade, for the dipping sauce, in a small bowl. Cut each chicken thigh into 6 strips and add to the bag with the marinade. Put the bag into a bowl, in case of leakage, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2) Meanwhile, if you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
3) For the dipping sauce, whisk the peanut butter and hot sauce into the reserved dipping sauce marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4) Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade. Thread 4 pieces of chicken onto each skewer. Put them onto an oiled grill and cook until slightly charred and cooked through.
5) Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat. Make the couscous according to package directions and set aside.
6) Cut the pepper into quarters and remove the core and the seeds. Slice the zucchini and onion into 1/4-inch thick slices. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste. Grill the vegetables until they are slightly charred and have softened a bit, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove them from the grill and cut them into small pieces. Gently stir the chopped vegetables into the couscous, cover, and keep warm.
7) Arrange the skewers on a serving platter and serve with the dipping sauce and the couscous.
Makes 4 Servings.Try this Iftar Recipe Today!
Labels: Chicken, Iftar Recipe