Iftar Recipes | Gulf Bahrain Mechwi Jader
Bahrain Mechwi Jader
Upside-Down Rice and Vegetable Cake
1 kg meat, cut into big cubes
3 cups rice
2 potatoes, cut into big squares
2 onions, cut into squares
1 bell pepper, cut into squares
1 green hot pepper
3 black loumi
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Spices for the meat
2 cinnamon sticks
4 cardamom pods
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
Spices for rice cooking:
2 cardamom pods
2 black pepper grain
2 clove seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place the chicken or meat in a medium saucepan and add water to cover.
2. Put the saucepan over heat. When the water boils, remove the fatty liquid that forms on the top then add the spices for cooking the meat or chicken and salt and reduce the heat.
3. Cover the saucepan and keep on heat until the chicken or meat is done then remove and drain the chicken or meat and keep their broth.
4. Put the oil in a saucepan, add onions and potatoes and fry well until the onions turn lightly brown.
5. Add in the meat or chicken, bell pepper, green hot pepper, “loumi”, and tomatoes. Stir the ingredients for few minutes then add 1 cup of broth to the saucepan and leave for 10 minutes over low heat.
6. Meanwhile, boil the rice in a saucepan containing water and the spices for rice cooking. Leave it on heat until the rice is half cooked then remove the rice and drain it.
7. Add the rice over the chicken or meat mixture, then add in another cup of broth and close the saucepan well.
8. Leave the saucepan over low heat for half an hour then remove from heat and leave it in a warm place until serving.
9. Flip the saucepan over into a serving dish and serve hot.