Vegetarian Iftar Recipe | Harira Soup
Vegetarian Iftar Recipe
* 1/4 cup green lentils
* 1/4 cup cooked chickpeas (soaked overnight and cooked. Or simply use canned chickpeas)
* 1 onion,chopped
* 1/4 ground ginger
* 1/2 ” cinnamon stick
* 2 large tomatoes, chopped (or you can use canned chopped tomatoes)
* 1/4 cup Vermicelli
* generous sprigs of parsley and cilantro
* few lemon wedges for garnish
* salt to taste (if needed)
* 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
* 1 tbsp lemon juice
* 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
* few sprigs of cilantro,chopped
1. In a skillet, add 1/4 tsp oil, add the onions and little of cilantro and cook until soft.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes along with other seasoning like ginger,cinnamon stick etc and cook until soft.
3. Add about 2 to 2-1/2 cups of water along with lentils, close the lid and cook until lentils turn soft – anywhere between 15-25 minutes.
4. Add vermicelli ( more water/stock if needed – the vermicelli will thicken the soup). Season with little salt. Cook until vermicelli is soft . Add cooked/canned chickpeas
5. Make the tadouira. Combine all the ingredients given under it to make a paste.
6. Add it to the soup and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot garnished with the herbs.
Note: You can squeeze some lemon juice on top or else simply serve them as wedges for your guests.