Eid Recipes | Dahi Gosht (Lamb in Yogurt Sauce)
Today, we feature a popular North Indian main dish recipe that would be great for an Eid main dish. It is called the Dahi Gosht, which is lamb cooked in yogurt sauce. This meat dish is very popular during Eid in India.
This Eid recipe is a must try for you!
Dahi Gosht (Lamb in Yogurt) Recipe
* 500 gms boneless leg of lamb, cubed
* 500 gms yoghurt
* 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
* Salt to taste
* 1 tsp turmeric powder
* 3 tbsps each of garlic and ginger paste
* Green chillies to taste, finely chopped
* 3 tbsps vegetable, sunflower or canola oil
* 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
* 3 tbsps garam masala (see recipe below)
* 3 tsps coriander powder
* 3 tsps cumin powder
* 4 bay leaves
* 500 gm can of diced tomatoes
* 500 ml lamb stock
* 3 tbsps finely chopped mint leaves
* 3 tbsps finely chopped coriander leaves
* 1” piece of ginger, julienned
1) Mix salt, pepper, yoghurt, turmeric powder, half the ginger and garlic pastes and green chillies together.
2) Marinate the lamb in this mixture for 30 minutes.
3) Heat oil in a deep pan and fry onions and remaining ginger and garlic pastes till fragrant.
4) Add the tomatoes, cumin powder, bay leaves, coriander powder and garam masala and continue to fry till the oil separates from the mixture.
5) Add the marinated lamb and cook till most of the liquid has evaporated. Pour in the lamb stock and cook till the meat is tender.
6) Adjust seasoning if needed.
7) Garnish with chopped coriander and mint and juliennes of ginger and serve.