Eid Recipe | Arabian Mamool Cookies
Today, we feature a popular Arabian dessert recipe that would be great for an Eid dessert. It is called the mamool. The Mamool is a pastry that is made with dates filling. Arabs love their sweet date-filled pastry called the mamool. And you will to when you try them out this Eid!
This Eid recipe is a must try for you!
Mamool - Date Pastry
flour 1 kg.
butter 6 tbsp
shortening 6 tbsp
yeast 1 tbsp
water 1\2 cup
milk 1 cup
fennel root 1\2 tsp
nigella 1\2 tsp
mahlab 1\2 tsp
kamiryhat 1\2 tsp
ground sesame seeds 4 tbsp
icing sugar for decoration
Ingredients For Stuffing
roasted sesame seeds 1 1\2 cup
ground cardamom 1 tsp
shortening 3 tbsp
soft dates 1 kg
1) Remove the seeds from the dates.
2) Add shortening and ground cardamoms and mix well.
3)Shape the date mixture into walnut sized balls then coat with the roasted sesame seeds and keep aside.
4) Shape the dough into egg sized balls.
5) Then flatten into rounds with the palms of your hands.
6) Put the date balls onto half of each circle.
7) Moisten edges of the dough with mixture of egg and 1 teaspoon of water.
8) Fold in half, seal edges by pressing with fork.(Alternatively use a dough press.
9) Dough press can easily be found at local shops). If using dough press , the dough must over hang the edge of the press.
10) Place a date ball in the centre of the dough, fold over the dough overhang, close the dough press firmly to seal the dough.
11) Tap on a wooden surface to remove.
12) Grease a baking tray and arrange stuffed dough on it.
13) Bake in a 375F oven for about 10-15 minutes or until brown.
14) Allow to cool and sprinkle icing sugar on top and serve.
1) Mix the yeast with the sugar and warm water and put aside to ferment.
2) Place flour in a large bowl, add spices and ground sesame seeds.
3) Meanwhile melt the shortening and butter in a small sauce pan over low heat.
4) Pour the melted butter onto the flour mixture and rub with your finger tips until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
5) Add the yeast and milk to the flour mixture and mix thoroughly to a soft dough.
6) Cover and leave aside for about 20 minutes.