Iftar Recipe | Harees
Today we feature an iftar recipe from India. This dish is called the Harees, which is a chicken wheat porridge dish. It is a popular iftar recipe during Ramadan in India. Harees is a hearty and spicy soup that is filling and delicious. But the harees is also a nutritious recipe being packed with protein goodness.
However, it does take some time to prepare. So for the working fasting person, you might want to try this recipe out during the weekend when you have more time to make it.
Try this iftar recipe out today!
1 pound boneless chicken, most of the fat trimmed.
1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
1 cup Whole grain broken wheat/bulgur wheat/daliya
3/4 teaspoon ginger garlic paste or 1/2 teaspoon each of freshly grated garlic and ginger
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala (Ground cumin,coriander,cardamom ,cloves and cinnamon)
1 teaspoon sea salt/kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro and mint
1/2 a lime, freshly squeeeezed.
2 tablespoon Olive oil
1) Soak the broken wheat for about 15 minutes in cold water
2) Heat Olive oil in a big skillet and add the thinly sliced onions. saute until lightly brown ,remove half of the fried onions and reserve for garnish.
3) Add the chicken and spices. Saute until chicken changes color and spices aroma is toasty.
4) Add the soaked wheat and chopped cilantro\mint(reserve few for garnish), 2 cups of water, season with salt and cover.
5) Cook on slow heat for about an hour(about 25 minutes in a pressure cooker) while stirring occasionally.
6) When cooked,uncover and let cool for 10 minutes before coarsely grinding using a immersion blender or any processor, stir in the fresh lime juice. Serve warm, garnish with toasted nuts, chopped greens and fried onions.